From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] excess x11 drivers
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:23:34
1 >>> Give this a shot:
2 >>>
3 >>> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
4 >>>
5 >> No, "nvidia" is for the proprietary binary nvida driver. The free
6 >> driver for nvidia cards is called NV. I have a GeForce4 MX 440 and I
7 >> have this in my make.conf:
8 >> VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa"
9 >
10 > What you say may be true, pretty sure it is, but what he is doing is not
11 > working, hence him coming here for help. Since I have nvidia in mine
12 > and it works fine, thought he may want to try that. What I posted is
13 > not wrong, just another way of doing it. Up to him if he wants to try
14 > it or not.
15 >
16 > Also, nv does not work well for me either. It is dreadfully slow and
17 > uses a lot of CPU time. At least that is how it was the last time I
18 > used it. Things change.
19 >
20 > Dale
21
22 Selecting "nvidia" instead of "nv" would hardly make a difference in
23 this specific problem.
24
25 Also I imagine that the nv driver would be the more likely to work,
26 being free software and maintainable by the Xorg developers. As for
27 being slow, everybody knows it (unfortunately; damned be Nvida*) does
28 not support 3D, so any 3D you use will be in software. But for 2D, it
29 is as fast as the proprietary driver AFAIK.
30
31 Are you saying that it is slower in 2D than the proprietary driver?
32
33 *If if were to buy a video card today, it wouldn't be Nvidia. But I
34 don't play 3D games so I won't buy a new card anyway.