From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] excess x11 drivers
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:48:05
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 >>>> Give this a shot:
3 >>>>
4 >>>> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
5 >>>>
6 >>>>
7 >>> No, "nvidia" is for the proprietary binary nvida driver. The free
8 >>> driver for nvidia cards is called NV. I have a GeForce4 MX 440 and I
9 >>> have this in my make.conf:
10 >>> VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa"
11 >>>
12 >> What you say may be true, pretty sure it is, but what he is doing is not
13 >> working, hence him coming here for help. Since I have nvidia in mine
14 >> and it works fine, thought he may want to try that. What I posted is
15 >> not wrong, just another way of doing it. Up to him if he wants to try
16 >> it or not.
17 >>
18 >> Also, nv does not work well for me either. It is dreadfully slow and
19 >> uses a lot of CPU time. At least that is how it was the last time I
20 >> used it. Things change.
21 >>
22 >> Dale
25 > Selecting "nvidia" instead of "nv" would hardly make a difference in
26 > this specific problem.
27 >
28 > Also I imagine that the nv driver would be the more likely to work,
29 > being free software and maintainable by the Xorg developers. As for
30 > being slow, everybody knows it (unfortunately; damned be Nvida*) does
31 > not support 3D, so any 3D you use will be in software. But for 2D, it
32 > is as fast as the proprietary driver AFAIK.
33 >
34 > Are you saying that it is slower in 2D than the proprietary driver?
35 >
36 > *If if were to buy a video card today, it wouldn't be Nvidia. But I
37 > don't play 3D games so I won't buy a new card anyway.
42 Yes, when I used nv a long time ago, it was very slow and it used a LOT
43 of my CPU time as well. It was like the CPU was doing the work instead
44 of the card. I emerged the nvidia drivers and have stuck with them ever
45 since.
46
47 Keep in mind I bought my nvidia card several years ago. Back then the
48 ATI support was nasty to say the least. ATI was not a viable option at
49 that time. Nvidia was the king as far as video cards go. That seems to
50 have changed and most likely I will get ATI next time, though I like
51 nvidia but hey . . . .they made their choice and I have to make mine
52 based on theirs.
53
54 I do agree that nv should work, I guess the old 'your mileage may vary'
55 comes in tho.
56
57 Dale
58