From: Andrew Tchernoivanov <tchernoivanov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:02:23
1 Hi!
2
3 I use gentoo on my desktop (P4, 2 Gb RAM) and openSuSe on laptop (Lenovo
4 x200s). They both work perfectly well, especially when you precisely know
5 what you are expecting from OS )) Regarding your questions:
6
7 About DE:
8 I've tried to use Enlightenment with SuSe, and worked very well (only
9 little changes with networking).
10
11 Applications:
12 I have texlive, pdftk, sipp and ns-2 working perfectly on both systems.
13 General applications like LibreOffice,
14 Gimp, browser works fine too.
15
16 The only thin is really annoying in openSuSe is /usr/lib/tracker-* which
17 loads CPU by 90% while searching
18 for media files, etc.. I recommend to disable it - I haven't found anything
19 useful by using this application.
20
21 Hope this helps you.
22
23 P.S. Sorry it there were some mistakes - English isn't my native language.