From: LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:50:07
1 2011/12/2 Andrew Tchernoivanov:
2
3 > Hi!
4
5 Hello.
6
7 > I use gentoo on my desktop (P4, 2 Gb RAM) and openSuSe on laptop (Lenovo
8 > x200s). They both work perfectly well, especially when you precisely know
9 > what you are expecting from OS )) Regarding your questions:
10
11 Ok well.
12
13 > About DE:
14 >  I've tried to use Enlightenment with SuSe, and worked very well (only
15 > little changes with networking).
16
17 > Applications:
18 >  I have texlive, pdftk, sipp and ns-2 working perfectly on both systems.
19 > General applications like LibreOffice,
20 > Gimp, browser works fine too.
21
22 > The only thin is really annoying in openSuSe is /usr/lib/tracker-* which
23 > loads CPU by 90% while searching
24 > for media files, etc.. I recommend to disable it - I haven't found anything
25 > useful by using this application.
26
27 Okay.
28
29 > Hope this helps you.
30
31 Yeah.
32
33 > P.S. Sorry it there were some mistakes - English isn't my native language.
34
35 Not a problem, that is also not a native language for me!
36
37 Why I asked to just know if Gentoo is better or openSUSE is better for
38 a novice who want to learn Linux, just coming directly from
39 Windows...that's why...However, I have liked the Ubuntu (since it is
40 easy and nice) but don't know about all Linux in general....is Gentoo
41 is also using the same Linux which Ubuntu is using?
42
43 Cheers.