From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:04:39
1 LinuxIsOne wrote:
2 > Why I asked to just know if Gentoo is better or openSUSE is better for
3 > a novice who want to learn Linux, just coming directly from
4 > Windows...that's why...However, I have liked the Ubuntu (since it is
5 > easy and nice) but don't know about all Linux in general....is Gentoo
6 > is also using the same Linux which Ubuntu is using? Cheers.
7
8 "Better" depends on what you expect. If you want to learn about Linux,
9 Gentoo will teach you a lot. Heck, you will learn a lot by the time you
10 get it installed and get to your first boot prompt. I get the
11 impression that you don't realize how in depth Gentoo is. Gentoo can be
12 installed by a Linux newcomer but it will not be a walk in the park. I
13 used Mandrake for 6 months or so and it took me about 3 tries to get to
14 a point where Gentoo would boot up. It took a while more to get
15 everything working still. I had to redo my kernel several times.
16
17 The point I am making is, it is not how different Gentoo is from other
18 distros, it's whether it is something you need and want to put the time
19 in to learn. Gentoo doesn't have a GUI installer and you do have to
20 compile everything you install. I recently installed Kubuntu for my
21 Brother. It is a walk in the park compared to installing Gentoo. Did I
22 learn anything about Linux, not hardly. I don't think Kubuntu is made
23 to teach a lot about Linux. It's just made to install easily and
24 quickly without much fuss.
25
26 I do hope you will try Gentoo tho. It is sort of addicting at times. lol
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!