From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 00:55:15
1 On Dec 3, 2011 3:06 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > LinuxIsOne wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Why I asked to just know if Gentoo is better or openSUSE is better for a
6 novice who want to learn Linux, just coming directly from Windows...that's
7 why...However, I have liked the Ubuntu (since it is easy and nice) but
8 don't know about all Linux in general....is Gentoo is also using the same
9 Linux which Ubuntu is using? Cheers.
12 > "Better" depends on what you expect. If you want to learn about Linux,
13 Gentoo will teach you a lot. Heck, you will learn a lot by the time you
14 get it installed and get to your first boot prompt. I get the impression
15 that you don't realize how in depth Gentoo is. Gentoo can be installed by
16 a Linux newcomer but it will not be a walk in the park. I used Mandrake
17 for 6 months or so and it took me about 3 tries to get to a point where
18 Gentoo would boot up. It took a while more to get everything working
19 still. I had to redo my kernel several times.
20 >
21 > The point I am making is, it is not how different Gentoo is from other
22 distros, it's whether it is something you need and want to put the time in
23 to learn. Gentoo doesn't have a GUI installer and you do have to compile
24 everything you install. I recently installed Kubuntu for my Brother. It
25 is a walk in the park compared to installing Gentoo. Did I learn anything
26 about Linux, not hardly. I don't think Kubuntu is made to teach a lot
27 about Linux. It's just made to install easily and quickly without much
28 fuss.
29 >
30 > I do hope you will try Gentoo tho. It is sort of addicting at times. lol
33 Indeed! Especially control freaks like me :-)
34
35 But seriously, I personally found Gentoo to be the most logical Linux
36 distro. Yes, the initial barrier (installation) is daunting, so to speak,
37 but after doing it successfully, one can immediately intuit "what's going
38 on". Installing and configuring other packages becomes piece of cake.
39
40 The logical way of Gentoo even extends to its packages. For instance,
41 packages that are meant to be run as services/daemons will *certainly* have
42 a pair of files in conf.d and init.d. Customizable environs are in env.d
43 and profile.d. And so on.
44
45 I've used Linux exclusively as servers, and I have dabbled with Red Hat,
46 CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch, but Gentoo wins hands down for its
47 logicality.
48
49 Not to mention that I can customize my servers exactly to my
50 specifications, instead of having to put up with cruft that the distro
51 maintainer feel as a "must have". Case in point : how many distros allow
52 you to choose which cron daemon you want to use?
53
54 Another plus point is the almost complete devel tools provided out of the
55 box: the gcc suite. Now if I happen across an open source project that
56 hasn't made it yet to the portage tree, I can just download and compile it
57 myself.
58
59 Related to that, is the great job Portage did regarding dependency hell.
60 Since I am no longer hostage to the whims of the distro maintainer re:
61 versions of libraries installed, if a program needs a library that's newer
62 than the current 'stable' version, I can just keyword the needed version
63 and compile away.
64
65 Rgds,