From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 04:37:57
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > Indeed! Especially control freaks like me :-)
5 >
6 > But seriously, I personally found Gentoo to be the most logical Linux
7 > distro. Yes, the initial barrier (installation) is daunting, so to
8 > speak, but after doing it successfully, one can immediately intuit
9 > "what's going on". Installing and configuring other packages becomes
10 > piece of cake.
11 >
12 > The logical way of Gentoo even extends to its packages. For instance,
13 > packages that are meant to be run as services/daemons will *certainly*
14 > have a pair of files in conf.d and init.d. Customizable environs are
15 > in env.d and profile.d. And so on.
16 >
17 > I've used Linux exclusively as servers, and I have dabbled with Red
18 > Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch, but Gentoo wins hands down for
19 > its logicality.
20 >
21 > Not to mention that I can customize my servers exactly to my
22 > specifications, instead of having to put up with cruft that the distro
23 > maintainer feel as a "must have". Case in point : how many distros
24 > allow you to choose which cron daemon you want to use?
25 >
26 > Another plus point is the almost complete devel tools provided out of
27 > the box: the gcc suite. Now if I happen across an open source project
28 > that hasn't made it yet to the portage tree, I can just download and
29 > compile it myself.
30 >
31 > Related to that, is the great job Portage did regarding dependency
32 > hell. Since I am no longer hostage to the whims of the distro
33 > maintainer re: versions of libraries installed, if a program needs a
34 > library that's newer than the current 'stable' version, I can just
35 > keyword the needed version and compile away.
36 >
37 > Rgds,
41 This is true but the OP may not really need this type of control. Most
42 people, newcomers especially, just want something that is easy and sort
43 of learn a bit and see if Linux is for them. Some people just aren't
44 wanting to be geeky at all. They want a OS that will take care of
45 everything for them. In that case, Gentoo is not going to be worth the
46 effort.
47
48 Me, I have a Desktop with no real special needs. I just wanted to be
49 able to learn about Linux, not have some bunch of junk that I never ever
50 intend to use installed and be able to update without standing on my
51 head with my small toe up one nostril trying to jump hoops. Mandrake
52 had a horrible update process and I got tired of it quick. If you could
53 insert CD, install and not need to update anything, then you were good
54 to go. If you install and then need to update something, oooops. Flip
55 upside down and assume the position.
56
57 Gentoo does have a lot of good points, especially for me. It is just
58 not going to be easy and hand holding at first for a newcomer. The OP
59 will learn a lot and as I pointed out, it can be addicting. Just turn
60 off the quiet output setting and see what Linux is really all about. ;-)
61
62 Dale
63
67 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!