From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Um...Who can fix this?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:02:41
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:33:11 +0100
2 Jonathan Wright wrote:
3
4 > > So if someone has broken into your system and screwed around with the
5 > > portage tree so that when you install sylpheed-claws it does something
6 > > nasty, running the digest command will allow that to happen.
7 >
8 > Hence the reason I said it wasn't recommended (paragraph following
9 > this). However, if you have downloaded a few files from bugzilla and
10 > have added them to an extra layout you will have to run a digest command
11 > before running portage - it will not run without. He may not have know
12 > that, hence giving both points and the bad points about running digest
13 > within the main tree.
14 >
15 > > If the digests are wrong find out what the problem is!
16 >
17 > In this case, it could most likely be the digest itself that was
18 > incorrect, but this is rare, while there was nothing else wrong with the
19 > system.
20
21 I wasn't aiming my comment at your advice in particular. I do get
22 concerned when I foten see (in other threads) the suggestion to simply
23 change the digest when there is a digest error. It kinda defeats the
24 purpose of the digest.
25
26 I agree it is necessary when doing something in your overlay. It seems
27 most people who post to bugs.gentoo.org do not post a digest file.
28 Perhaps they should.
32 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list