From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Um...Who can fix this?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:19:44
1 Nick Rout schreef:
2 >
3 > I agree it is necessary when doing something in your overlay. It
4 > seems most people who post to bugs.gentoo.org do not post a digest
5 > file. Perhaps they should.
6
7 Sometimes people do, but iirc this is discouraged by the dev team. Don't
8 know why, but I know if I use an overlay ebuild, the tarball is
9 downloaded when the digest is made (thus the md5 is taken directly from
10 the tarball after downloading). I don't really think I'd want to rely on
11 some unknown person's digest from a download that may not be the same as
12 mine for whatever reason. At least this way I can confirm the tarball is
13 from the legitimate source (by watching the wget output), and if
14 necessary, compare the digest md5 with the md5 on the tarball's homepage
15 (usually available).
16
17 Having a digest from an 'untrusted source' (it's unofficial, after all)
18 would encourage me to trust sources I shouldn't just trust by default,
19 and I don't want to get into a bad habit like that.
20
21 Holly
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list