From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:23:01
1 On Wednesday 15 October 2008 15:13:45 Pintér Tibor wrote:
2 > > I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
3 > > with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
4 > > important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
5 > > Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
6 > > like the flexibility of that.
7 > > The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
8 > > Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
9 > > linux kernel's software RAID.
10 >
11 > thats not hardware raid, it never was, it never will be.
12
13 Rule of thumb:
14
15 For any machine you buy to use at home, dump the on-board RAID and use Linux
16 software raid instead.
17
18 Reason: kernel raid works, that on-board crap doesn't
19 Other reason: real hardware raid costs many times more than that entire
20 computer you bought for home use
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com