From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:46:44
1 On 16/5/2011, at 11:47am, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > ...
3 > On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
4 > could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
5 > emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
6 > without any problems, right?
7
8 I don't believe you can do this safely, as I don't believe that the runtime-depends of all other ebuilds distinguish properly between the old baselayout and OpenRC / baselayout2.
9
10 There were some comments here the other week about checking for libraries & programs which has been updated / recompiled, but for which the old versions were still in use. The programs `lib_users` and `checkrestart` were mentioned, and sure enough the latter indicated some init.d scripts; however some of these failed to restart, complaining "I'm written for the new baselayout, not this old crap!".
11
12 I run a mostly "stable" x86 system, with a handful of ~x86 packages unmasked by hand, so I can't say this isn't to blame. I personally think the cause is that I synced and updated a handful of packages just as or before the migration warning appeared, and that these were stabilised in preparation for the other. Whatever - I think Portage should be clever enough to say "hang on, this init.d script doesn't match the baselayout verstion - let's not emerge this!", but it doesn't seem to be.
13
14 Stroller