From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 10:49:39
1 On 2011-05-12 5:46 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:00 on Thursday 12 May 2011,
4 >> Tanstaafl did opine thusly:
5 >>> If I want to image my system prior to the update 'just in case'
6 >>> something goes south, am I correct that all I need to worry about is /,
7 >>> since /etc is located there?
8 >>>
9 >>> In other words, is anything on /usr or /var touched during this update?
10
11 >> All the affected configs are in /etc/
12
13 > That was all I backed up when I did mine to. If it does go south, just
14 > re-emerge the old packages and restore /etc from your backups. Should
15 > be back to normal.
16 >
17 > That said, follow the guide and you should be fine. It went smoothly
18 > for me.
19
20 Thanks Alan and Dale... but since this is a production server, guess
21 I'll wait till this weekend to do the deed.
22
23 On last question/confirmation -
24
25 There are a few updates other than just the baselayout/OpenRC updates
26 pending... can I still emerge those now, prior to the baselayout update,
27 like normal?
28
29 On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
30 could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
31 emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
32 without any problems, right?
33
34 Thanks again guys... probably fretting over nothing, like the rest of you...