From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:40:37
1 On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:47:59AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On last question/confirmation -
3 >
4 > There are a few updates other than just the baselayout/OpenRC updates
5 > pending... can I still emerge those now, prior to the baselayout update,
6 > like normal?
7
8 Yes, as long as they do not have a dependency on the newer baselayout or
9 openrc.
10
11 > On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
12 > could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
13 > emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
14 > without any problems, right?
15
16 I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
17 openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
18 baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
19 still using baselayout-1.
20
21 William