From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Printing: CUPS prints 12% too big onto an A4 sheet.
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 21:08:59
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:22 on Sunday 01 May 2011, Alan Mackenzie
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi, Gentoo.
5 >
6 > Could somebody please help me with a printing problem.
7 >
8 > With a piece of sheet music downloaded from http://imslp.org into xpdf
9 > version 3.02-r4 (the up to datest), when I print it, the image spills
10 > over the right hand edge of the paper. It is 12% too wide and 12% too
11 > high.
12 >
13 > For printing, I am using a standard CUPS setup (as described in the
14 > documentation "Gentoo Printing Guide") on a Samsung ML-1450 laser
15 > printer using the driver pxlmono. I have also tried the other two
16 > ML-1450 drivers, ljet4 and lj4dith, which gave the same results. My
17 > page size is and is set to A4.
18 >
19 > For comparison, on my old PC using an earlier version of xpdf, the same
20 > page on the same printer (with lprng) prints perfectly.
21 >
22 > What have I done wrong?
23
24 It's likely some weird setting, which makes me think:
25
26 12% of an A4 page is almost exactly 1" across the width.
27 Do you have some automagic "add 0.5" margin all round" setting active?
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com