From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading Issue
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 19:55:28
1 On 2020.02.15 14:16, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 14 February 2020 20:03:00 GMT Colleen Beamer wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have an older computer with Gentoo on it. I haven't updated it in
5 >> quite a while because it necessitates a full reinstall and up until
6 >> recently, I haven't had the time to devote to this. It is mostly
7 >> backuped up on an external hard drive so, it what I'm asking can't
8 >> be done, that's okay.
9 > >
10 >> There seems to be a problem with loading MySQL. During the boot
11 >> process when it comes to the loading of MySQL it hangs. Is there a
12 >> way to bypass the loading of MySQL so the computer will complete
13 >> booting and I can make sure I've gotten everything that I want off
14 >> of it before I wipe it?
15 >
16 > Have you tried setting rc_interactive="YES" in /etc/rc.conf? Then you
17 > can interrupt the boot process, and learn of several scripts that you
18 > didn't know were run.
19 >
20 > I'm assuming an openrc system, of course.
21
22 I'm not the OP, but I recently had a similar situation - total freeze
23 early during the boot process. What I wanted was a way to get that
24 rc_interactive="YES" behavior - but by doing something at boot time.
25 Otherwise, I needed to boot a live CD/DVD/thumb, edit rc.conf, and
26 reboot. I was able to boot adding init=/bin/bash to the kernel command
27 line, but then even though I could do "openrc sysinit" then "openrc
28 boot" and then start "default" services individually, it took longer,
29 since I had to try to figure out in what order services would have been
30 started.
31
32 I wonder if booting with init=/bin/bash, editing rc.conf, and then
33 doing "exec /sbin/init" would then put the system in a state (with
34 proc 1 being init) as if it had booted normally, but with an
35 interactive startup?
36
37 Jack