From: Crayon Shin Chan <crayon.shin.chan.uk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} web/mail server as nameserver
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:34:14
1 On Friday 11 May 2007 04:29, Grant wrote:
2 > Hello, I've been using everydns.net as my site's nameserver but they
3 > were down for a long time yesterday and are currently down again
4 > today.
5
6 I've used zoneedit.com for years and have never had a problem.
7
8 > If this remote machine is my only web and mail server, it might as well
9 > be the nameserver too right?
10
11 May not be good for mail. If your server is down and someone tries to send
12 you mail and the dns lookup fails would the sending mailserver mark it as
13 a failure immediately? As opposed to, if your dns server was elsewhere,
14 then since dns lookup succeeds the sending mailserver will requeue the
15 mail until your mailserver is up again.
16
17 > Would you use djbdns for this?
18
19 It would be a more secure choice than bind :)
22 Crayon
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list