From: Kevin Brandstatter <kjbrandstatter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dedicated server or cloud server?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:17:07
1 Cloud services are often far more expensive, I work with someone who did a
2 fair amount of research of the various costs of clouds. They are good for
3 dynamic scaling of resources but if your concentrating on one server or
4 another its likely your server load isn't highly intensive and a single
5 dedicated server could handle it. Also, there are the options of cheaper
6 webhosting, or a VPS, as a true dedicated server can be quite expensive due
7 to the cost of rackspace.
8
9 In terms of availability, it simply depends on replication and the
10 reliability of the data site. with a standard cloud server there is likely
11 not replication across sites and so the availability is determined by
12 availability of the data center. Dedicated servers dont have multi site
13 replication (unless you do it yourself), however many provide far better
14 uptime SLAs than a cloud provider.
15 For example, Amazon EC2 SLA guaruntees 99.95% uptime. whereas dedicated
16 servers or VPSs can generally offer between 99,99% and 99.9999% (depending
17 on who it is).
18
19 -Kevin Brandstatter