From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dedicated server or cloud server?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:40:11
1 Am 14.12.2012 11:00, schrieb Grant:
2 >> > Would everyone here be in favor of a dedicated server over a cloud
3 >> > server from a host with good cloud infrastructure? The cloud server
4 >> > concept is amazing but from what I'm reading a dedicated server at the
5 >> > same price point far outperforms it.
6 >> >
7 >> > - Grant
8 >>
9 >> Last time I did the calculation, a dedicated or normal virtualized
10 >> infrastructure was more cost effective as long as you could accurately
11 >> predict the performance you need.
12 >>
13 >> Cloud services only really help if you need a high dynamic range
14 >> regarding scale and performance, e.g. a service that could get a lot of
15 >> new users very fast or is only really active for short time spans.
16 >
17 > Doesn't a good cloud server also have potentially higher availability
18 > compared to dedicated?
19 >
20 > - Grant
21
22 I'd be grateful if anyone can point me at a well conducted study on that
23 topic. Until then I just say that my anecdotal evidence shows the
24 opposite: My cheap-ass virtual server has an uptime of 492 days with
25 only minor, previously announced network outages. During the same time,
26 Amazon EC2 had what, 3 or 4 major outages?
27
28 Regards,
29 Florian Philipp