From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dedicated server or cloud server?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:02:27
1 > > Would everyone here be in favor of a dedicated server over a cloud
2 > > server from a host with good cloud infrastructure? The cloud server
3 > > concept is amazing but from what I'm reading a dedicated server at the
4 > > same price point far outperforms it.
5 > >
6 > > - Grant
7 >
8 > Last time I did the calculation, a dedicated or normal virtualized
9 > infrastructure was more cost effective as long as you could accurately
10 > predict the performance you need.
11 >
12 > Cloud services only really help if you need a high dynamic range
13 > regarding scale and performance, e.g. a service that could get a lot of
14 > new users very fast or is only really active for short time spans.
15
16 Doesn't a good cloud server also have potentially higher availability
17 compared to dedicated?
18
19 - Grant