From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT vm WinXp] Can WinXp be Vm app from gentoo?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:01:31
1 > > I do have a couple of WinXP pro licenses but hoped there might be a
2 > > ready made VMappliance I can just download and fireup.
3 >
4 > Download Windows XP? Do you actually assume, that somebody
5 > will now post a link to some Warez site, or what?
6
7 You can hunt here and maybe find something:
8 http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/
9
10 For example,
11 http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/649
12
13 Is a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition Virtual
14 Appliance
15
16 Why does everyone always assume people are pirates or in search of
17 warez. I don't see why someone couldn't put up a copy of XP or Vista or
18 whatever that is unactivated, yet all installed and ready to go
19 (everything but the CPU is emulated in VMWare, so it could be possible,
20 and even the XP CPU is a generic x86 compatible, not like it's optimized
21 AFAIK). Then one could just plop in their key to activate it for reals
22 to get "WGA certifed".
23
24 I'm sure you can find an XP CD lying around your work or ask someone
25 with an MSDN subscription too.
26
27 A word of advice, once you have it all installed in your VM and setup
28 the way you like, I would take a snapshot so you can always revert to
29 it. Or backup the VM directory. I like to use an XP VM on my XP host
30 just to go to sites where they try to install something to make you get
31 the content, etc.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list