From: Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:51:10
1 >> I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend running
2 >> Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could. It wasn't that it
3 >> was bad or didn't work, but that the management of it seemed so
4 >> different from any distro I'd run before that I didn't want to deal
5 >> with learning it. Let's see how that does for you.
6 >>
7 >> Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
8 >> running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
9 >>
10 >> 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
11 >>
12 >> 2) All the management was done using sudo.
13 >>
14 >> I couldn't get past the idea that if something went wrong that with no
15 >> root password what was I supposed to do? Now, I was absolutely sure at
16 >> the time there had to be a way to set that myself, maybe as simple as
17 >> sudo passwd - root or something like that, but I decided it just
18 >> wasn't for me and tossed the machine in the garage rather than deal
19 >> with it! :-)
20 >>
21 >> Cheers,
22 >> Mark
23 >>
24 <SNIP>
25 >
26 > I don't use sudo on my rig so it sort of annoys me.  ;-)   I guess we have
27 > that in common.  lol
28 >
29 > The update tool is GUI.  That's why I think he can do that himself.  A lot
30 > like winders in a way.  Heck, if this works well and that intfs thingy gets
31 > on my nerves, may use it myself.  :-(   I may have found my next distro.
32 >  I'm not leaving yet.  I'm going to give the inity thingy a shot, maybe two.
33 >  After that, kill shot.
34 >
35 > Dale
38 I hate sudo, I never got the point in using it - and actually it is
39 one of the thing that makes Ubuntu annoying to me. I'm not the only
40 one, then! :D
41
42 Howerer, I think that Ubuntu is one of the "best" distro for beginners
43 (especially those coming from windows/os x), so it should work well
44 for your brother. Basically, it is absolutely possible to run and
45 update the distro without ever touching the terminal... Me, I find it
46 too "constraining".
47
48 In regard to Sabayon, last time I tried it, I had the impression it
49 was buggy, but it was three years ago... Actually, I'd like to give it
50 a try one of these days :)
51
52 Best regards,
53 Lorenzo