From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:19:50
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:49:54 +0100
2 Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend
5 > >> running Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could. It
6 > >> wasn't that it was bad or didn't work, but that the management of
7 > >> it seemed so different from any distro I'd run before that I
8 > >> didn't want to deal with learning it. Let's see how that does for
9 > >> you.
10 > >>
11 > >> Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
12 > >> running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
13 > >>
14 > >> 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
15 > >>
16 > >> 2) All the management was done using sudo.
17 > >>
18 > >> I couldn't get past the idea that if something went wrong that
19 > >> with no root password what was I supposed to do? Now, I was
20 > >> absolutely sure at the time there had to be a way to set that
21 > >> myself, maybe as simple as sudo passwd - root or something like
22 > >> that, but I decided it just wasn't for me and tossed the machine
23 > >> in the garage rather than deal with it! :-)
24 > >>
25 > >> Cheers,
26 > >> Mark
27 > >>
28 > <SNIP>
29 > >
30 > > I don't use sudo on my rig so it sort of annoys me.  ;-)   I guess
31 > > we have that in common.  lol
32 > >
33 > > The update tool is GUI.  That's why I think he can do that himself.
34 > >  A lot like winders in a way.  Heck, if this works well and that
35 > > intfs thingy gets on my nerves, may use it myself.  :-(   I may
36 > > have found my next distro. I'm not leaving yet.  I'm going to give
37 > > the inity thingy a shot, maybe two. After that, kill shot.
38 > >
39 > > Dale
42 > I hate sudo, I never got the point in using it - and actually it is
43 > one of the thing that makes Ubuntu annoying to me. I'm not the only
44 > one, then! :D
45
46 Then you must be using a single-user machine. Like your own laptop or
47 desktop.
48
49 sudo is absolutely necessary on any multi-user machine unless you like
50 security holes.
51
52 Instead of bashing sudo, it's better to find out what problem it is
53 designed to solve, then determine if you have that problem. It does
54 have a point, and a very valuable one too, you just seem to not have
55 seen it yet.
61 Alan McKinnnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com