From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:21:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:49:54 +0100
3 > Lorenzo Bandieri<lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> I don't use sudo on my rig so it sort of annoys me. ;-) I guess
5 >>> we have that in common. lol
6 >>>
7 >>> The update tool is GUI. That's why I think he can do that himself.
8 >>> A lot like winders in a way. Heck, if this works well and that
9 >>> intfs thingy gets on my nerves, may use it myself. :-( I may
10 >>> have found my next distro. I'm not leaving yet. I'm going to give
11 >>> the inity thingy a shot, maybe two. After that, kill shot.
12 >>>
13 >>> Dale
14 >>>
15 >> I hate sudo, I never got the point in using it - and actually it is
16 >> one of the thing that makes Ubuntu annoying to me. I'm not the only
17 >> one, then! :D
18 > Then you must be using a single-user machine. Like your own laptop or
19 > desktop.
20 >
21 > sudo is absolutely necessary on any multi-user machine unless you like
22 > security holes.
23 >
24 > Instead of bashing sudo, it's better to find out what problem it is
25 > designed to solve, then determine if you have that problem. It does
26 > have a point, and a very valuable one too, you just seem to not have
27 > seen it yet.
30 Mine is a single user machine both for me and my brother. That said, if
31 I did have other users on my machine, they wouldn't even be in the wheel
32 group so sudo wouldn't happen either. They would be able to do user
33 things but nothing else.
34
35 That said, I know sudo fixes some problems and has its reason for
36 existing. Me, its just like the init thingy, I haven't found a good
37 reason yet to have one so no need adding it. That will likely change
38 shortly but hopefully not today. I found a workaround on kubuntu tho.
39 Just set the root password so you can login as root and carry on. ;-)
40 Even I have a gas pocket in my brain from time to time. :-D
41
42 Cheer up Alan.
43
44 Dale