From: Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:11:42
1 > Then you must be using a single-user machine. Like your own laptop or
2 > desktop.
3 >
4 > sudo is absolutely necessary on any multi-user machine unless you like
5 > security holes.
6 >
7 > Instead of bashing sudo, it's better to find out what problem it is
8 > designed to solve, then determine if you have that problem. It does
9 > have a point, and a very valuable one too, you just seem to not have
10 > seen it yet.
11
12 Yes, Alan, you're right, I'm on a single-user machine. I apologize, I
13 should have made it clear. Indeed, I can see that in a multi-users
14 machine sudo is useful. I just don't agree on the Ubuntu policy of
15 using sudo instead of root by default, assuming that it provides more
16 security. I don't want to start a flame war about sudo vs su, sorry if
17 I sounded rough!
18
19 Best regards,
20 Lorenzo