From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:33:12
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:10:27 +0100, Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
2
3 > Yes, Alan, you're right, I'm on a single-user machine. I apologize, I
4 > should have made it clear. Indeed, I can see that in a multi-users
5 > machine sudo is useful. I just don't agree on the Ubuntu policy of
6 > using sudo instead of root by default, assuming that it provides more
7 > security.
8
9 Ubuntu is designed for Linux newbies, those conditioned to the Windows
10 way of working. Give them a root password and they will soon get fed up
11 with typing it whenever they need to do $something and just log into the
12 desktop as root. It is easy enough to enable root access in Ubuntu, but
13 you do have to work out how to break it for yourself.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Diarrhoea is hereditary, it runs in your genes.