From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for make menuconfig
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 11:04:57
1 On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 02:51:49 -0400,
2 Ashley Dixon wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
5 > On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:30:45AM +0100, Ashley Dixon wrote:
6 > > This is just a total guess, but I can suppose that lspci uses it to convey
7 > > which kernel modules are being used by each PCI device.
8 >
9 > Clarification: kmod is used specifically with the `-k` switch of lspci:
10 >
11 > $ ash-euses -o pciutils:kmod
12 > sys-apps/pciutils:kmod - Enable sys-apps/kmod support for the -k switch
13 > in lspci command
14 >
15 > This causes the LIBKMOD variable to be passed to the Makefile [1, 2]:
16 >
17 > pemake() {
18 > emake \
19 > [...]
20 > LIBKMOD=$(multilib_native_usex kmod) \
21 > [...]
22 > "$@"
23 > }
24 >
25 > Anyway, with regards to your problem: if you're just installing your system now,
26 > then you're probably getting this error because `/lib/modules` doesn't exist
27 > inside your chroot. This path is hardcoded into pciutils [3]; this has been
28 > modified by some vendors of the package, but not Gentoo [4]. You needn't worry
29 > unless you're still getting this error outside of your chroot, once you've
30 > completed the installation. Just focus on building a kernel for now.
31 >
32 > [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-apps/pciutils/pciutils-3.7.0.ebuild#n81
33 > [2] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-reference/multilib-build.eclass/#lbAE
34 > [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/pciutils/pciutils.git/tree/ls-kernel.c#n134
35 > [4] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/286c836b3f1421553c103758537929e596256e65#diff-0a685886728285db8aa0594d87cb29b4
36
37 I always get this error, but the flag indicating which driver is being
38 used still works, so I have not paid too much attention to this one.
39 I do have a running system with /lib/modules and the error still
40 occurrs.
43 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
44 How do
45 you spend it?
46
47 John Covici wb2una