From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for make menuconfig
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 15:09:57
1 On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:04:46AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
2 > I always get this error, but the flag indicating which driver is being
3 > used still works, so I have not paid too much attention to this one.
4 > I do have a running system with /lib/modules and the error still
5 > occurrs.
6
7 What is the exact error? Is it accompanied by an error code? libkmod looks for
8 the following files, typically located in `/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/`, when
9 client applications request a context [1]; most of these can be generated with
10 depmod(8):
11
12 - modules.dep
13 - modules.alias
14 - modules.symbols
15 - modules.builtin.alias
16 - modules.builtin
17
18 struct _index_files {
19 const char *fn;
20 const char *prefix;
21 }
22
23 The most interesting for kernel modules is `modules.alias`, which is the more
24 modern representation of `modules.{pci,usb}map` [2]. Are all these files intact
25 on your system? What happens when you run `lsmod`?
26
27 [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/tree/libkmod/libkmod.c#n53
28 [2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/25644147/
32 Ashley Dixon