From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:45:51
1 Hi,
2
3 I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one,
4 can the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives? I have a plug on
5 the front of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if they
6 can be hot swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up. If I can
7 hot swap, where does the power come from? I know the drives I put in
8 the case have a separate power connection. How's that work exactly? Is
9 that just for external drives that have their own power?
10
11 I have two dries in here already. One I bought and one that was
12 donated. This is what hdparm reports:
13
14 fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
15
16 /dev/sda:
17 Timing cached reads: 6788 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
18 Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in 3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/sec
19 fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
20
21 /dev/sdb:
22 Timing cached reads: 6736 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
23 Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/sec
24 fireball ~ #
25
26 Is that about normal? The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
27 Shouldn't they be faster than that? I read at one time that SATA is
28 basically plug up and it works. Just checking if there is a setting I
29 need to change.
30
31 Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE. Should that
32 be set to AHCI instead? Is that why it is slower than expected? Is
33 that good to go with Linux as well? I have this set in the kernel and
34 built in as usual:
35
36 AHCI SATA support
37
38 Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything. Oh, I decided to name
39 the new rig fireball instead of lightening. ;-) You may notice that in
40 the paste up above.
41
42 Thanks.
43