From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:18:42
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 03:43, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?':
3 > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:18:41 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
4 > > I can't think of any method to get real numbers.
5 >
6 > Add sys-apps/gentoo-phonehome to all system profiles :)
7
8 Damn you. I actually searched for that package. :P
9
10 As long as it is voluntary, I generally install programs that allows me to
11 report my hardware and software configuration so my distributor knows how
12 to focus its resources. Is Gentoo interested in this information? Is
13 there a relevant package?
14
15 > Or do what Ubuntu did and default all installs to use their time server,
16 > they can get a good estimate of the number of users from the time server
17 > logs.
18
19 I'm fairly sure the popularity-contest package is part of a standard
20 (K)Ubuntu install. (It regularly reports the packages you have installed;
21 It's not required.) That's probably more accurate that time server logs,
22 since I believe the Canonical time server are also part of the pool
23 rotation.
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh