From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:00:23
1 On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:11:13 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > > Add sys-apps/gentoo-phonehome to all system profiles :)
4 >
5 > Damn you. I actually searched for that package. :P
6
7 LOL!
8
9 > As long as it is voluntary, I generally install programs that allows me
10 > to report my hardware and software configuration so my distributor
11 > knows how to focus its resources. Is Gentoo interested in this
12 > information? Is there a relevant package?
13
14 There used to be such a package, but I think it was dropped some time
15 ago.
16
17 > > Or do what Ubuntu did and default all installs to use their time
18 > > server, they can get a good estimate of the number of users from the
19 > > time server logs.
20 >
21 > I'm fairly sure the popularity-contest package is part of a standard
22 > (K)Ubuntu install. (It regularly reports the packages you have
23 > installed; It's not required.) That's probably more accurate that time
24 > server logs, since I believe the Canonical time server are also part of
25 > the pool rotation.
26
27 AFAIK the Ubuntu installation defaults (or at least it did) to using only
28 their time servers. Every time someone booted up a Ubuntu machine in the
29 morning, they knew about it. It means they were counting machines using
30 Ubuntu as opposed to those with it installed, so they'd also have an idea
31 of how many people installed it and then stopped using it.
32
33 Of course, that would only work with a distro like Ubuntu that is aimed
34 at people wanting something that "just works" and don't fiddle with
35 default system settings.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 What do you get if you cross an agnostic, an insomniac and adyslexic?
42 Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.