From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Did I not get the memo about perl & python?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:36:48
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > Sort of strange. One of my machines just showed up wanting to rebuild
4 > about 25 packages due to a USE flag change? All the packages were
5 > showing -perl and/or -python. Seemed like a strange change at this
6 > point in the life of a desktop PC so I added both flags to make.conf
7 > and the machine is once again content to update just a couple of
8 > packages.
9 >
10 > I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.Was there??
11
12 There was a message on the gentoo-announce list on Sept. 30th:
13
14 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
15 Hello,
16
17 In a few days, USE={python,perl} will be removed from the profile
18 defaults. There has been sufficient levels of testing so the impact to
19 users will be small besides a potentially large number of rebuilds
20 which should not be a cause for alarm. The end result will be
21 beneficial for a vast majority of people.
22
23 See further reading:
24 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev-announce/msg_ae405bb743eeda9dc66773998ee50759.xml
25
26 Thanks,
27 Jeremy
29
30 It has also been discussed a little here, at least in the 'tabbed
31 x11-terms/rxvt-unicode' thread. But that only deals with some
32 implications of the flag removal, not so much about why they have been
33 removed. I think.
34
35 Wonko