From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Did I not get the memo about perl & python?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:04:02
1 On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht writes:
3 >
4 >> Sort of strange. One of my machines just showed up wanting to rebuild
5 >> about 25 packages due to a USE flag change? All the packages were
6 >> showing -perl and/or -python. Seemed like a strange change at this
7 >> point in the life of a desktop PC so I added both flags to make.conf
8 >> and the machine is once again content to update just a couple of
9 >> packages.
10 >>
11 >> I don't recall seeing any discussion about this.Was there??
12 >
13 > There was a message on the gentoo-announce list on Sept. 30th:
14 >
15 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
16 > Hello,
17 >
18 > In a few days, USE={python,perl} will be removed from the profile
19 > defaults. There has been sufficient levels of testing so the impact to
20 > users will be small besides a potentially large number of rebuilds
21 > which should not be a cause for alarm. The end result will be
22 > beneficial for a vast majority of people.
23 >
24 > See further reading:
25 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev-announce/msg_ae405bb743eeda9dc66773998ee50759.xml
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 > Jeremy
29 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
30 >
31 > It has also been discussed a little here, at least in the 'tabbed
32 > x11-terms/rxvt-unicode' thread. But that only deals with some
33 > implications of the flag removal, not so much about why they have been
34 > removed. I think.
35 >
36 >        Wonko
37
38 Interesting. I guess I'm no longer subscribed 'cause I haven't seen a
39 message from there in months. I'll go resubscribe.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Mark