From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:22:37
1 On 2009-10-02, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >>> <SNIP>
6 >>> and my brain just doesn't work the way vi does.
7 >>
8 >> I'm with you Grant. Mine doesn't work that way either.
9 >
10 > You guys do know that Bill Joy was lopsided drunk when he
11 > wrote the bulk of vi ... right? (or so it is said by
12 > oldtimers)
13
14 Now that you mention it, I have heard that. :)
15
16 > Nobodys' brain works that way on purpose... You have to make
17 > it happen with practice (or alcohol). I should know... I've
18 > been practicing for 12 yrs and tried the alcohol technique
19 > before becoming a teetotaller some time earlier, and still a
20 > very long ways from being an adept. Or even a competent for
21 > that matter.
22
23 OTOH, watching somebody who _is_ adept with vi (or ed) is not
24 something one soon forgets. There were several things I've
25 watched that would have taken me twice as long to do in emacs
26 (but would take 16X as long for _me_ to do it in vi).
27
28 > But still compared to nano, even just the basic open file/
29 > write to file/ close file... is done better and easier from
30 > vi.
31
32 Though I stumble around in nano rather badly, at least the
33 failure modes seem a lot less damaging that what I manage to do
34 in vi. With vi, I generally have to abandon the edit and start
35 over at least 2 or 3 times.
36
37 > However, all that said... it still isn't a big deal having
38 > nano there at first ... Install disks are networked right off
39 > the bat these days, so its not long before you can emerge vim
40 > or emacs, you don't have to put up with nano for long.
41
42 Exactly. I usually emerge jed first (which has a good emacs
43 mode), and then switch over to emacs once I get things going.
46 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I in Milwaukee?
47 at
48 visi.com