From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:12:01
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >> and my brain just doesn't
6 >> work the way vi does.
10 > I'm with you Grant. Mine doesn't work that way either.
11
12 You guys do know that Bill Joy was lopsided drunk when he wrote the
13 bulk of vi ... right? (or so it is said by oldtimers)
14
15 Nobodys' brain works that way on purpose... You have to make it happen
16 with practice (or alcohol). I should know... I've been practicing for
17 12 yrs and tried the alcohol technique before becoming a teetotaller
18 some time earlier, and still a very long ways from being an adept. Or
19 even a competent for that matter.
20
21 But still compared to nano, even just the basic open file/ write to
22 file/ close file... is done better and easier from vi.
23
24 Someone mentioned being surprised to find nano the default in stage3.
25
26 I was surprised too. My first gentoo installs were several yrs ago
27 now so I expect it now, but it did surprise me quite a bit that first
28 time. I'd already been through the grease with vi so could do basic
29 stuff well enough by that time.
30
31 However, all that said... it still isn't a big deal having nano there
32 at first ... Install disks are networked right off the bat these days,
33 so its not long before you can emerge vim or emacs, you don't have to
34 put up with nano for long.