From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:34:47
1 On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:53:51 +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I'm considering encrypting my home partition one of these days. Given
5 >> > the things that have come out in recent months, back doors and such,
6 >> > what is a good program/software/tool to use that is well . . .
7 >> > secure? Is there such a thing now?
8 >
9 >> Depends on your needs, for encrypting complete devices/partitions try
10 >> the kernels dm-crypt/luks module. If you just want to encrypt a
11 >> directory try encfs, and for file encryption there's openssl and gpg
12 >
13 > Definitely dm-crypt/LUKS for partitions/devices, but why use encfs which
14 > needs FUSE, when ecryptfs does the same thing in kernel space?
17 for dual-boot systems, or simply from the point of system recovery, I
18 find it really attractive that I can, for example, open an encfs
19 filesystem in "the other operating system" (there's an encfs for
20 windows). Besides, I think the fact that you're doing encryption /
21 decryption on the fly completely overshadows the performance hit from
22 running a userspace filesystem anyways. Also, it's extremely
23 convenient to be able to mount / unmount the encfs on the fly without
24 su, sudo, or messing with fstab, as, for instance, with the case of
25 portable hard disks or usb sticks, where you don't want to
26 automatically unencrypt the contents unless you're prompted for the
27 password.
28 --
29 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
30 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
31 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none