From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:28:04
1 On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 19:34:40 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2
3 > > Definitely dm-crypt/LUKS for partitions/devices, but why use encfs
4 > > which needs FUSE, when ecryptfs does the same thing in kernel space?
5
6 > for dual-boot systems, or simply from the point of system recovery, I
7 > find it really attractive that I can, for example, open an encfs
8 > filesystem in "the other operating system" (there's an encfs for
9 > windows).
10
11 I don't use Windows, so my "other operating system" is usually System
12 Rescue Cd :)
13
14 > Besides, I think the fact that you're doing encryption /
15 > decryption on the fly completely overshadows the performance hit from
16 > running a userspace filesystem anyways.
17
18 Or adds to it...
19
20 > Also, it's extremely
21 > convenient to be able to mount / unmount the encfs on the fly without
22 > su, sudo, or messing with fstab, as, for instance, with the case of
23 > portable hard disks or usb sticks, where you don't want to
24 > automatically unencrypt the contents unless you're prompted for the
25 > password.
26
27 AFAIR ecryptfs doesn't require root privileges.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Anyone able to feel pain is trainable.