From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 04:53:14
1 On 18/09/14 03:12, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> The code is out there. Freely available. Both systemd and sysvinit.
4 >> If you wanted to measure both, you could, literally, in the time it
5 >> took since you first posted in this thread till now you could have
6 >> measured several times and left mean comments about whichever
7 >> system you hated the most.
8 > Unfortunately, the systemd guys keep screaming that systemd is faster,
9 > and burden of proof is on the party that's claiming something. It's not
10 > James'/Volker's responsibility to prove that systemd isn't faster.
11 >
12 > That said, you guys need to stop flaming. If anything, it's easy to
13 > dislike SysVInit because the init scripts it uses are piles of bash,
14 > compared to a Systemd init script that has a handful of systemd config.
15 >
16 > Is systemd starting to encompass too much? I think so, but who cares? If
17 > we want an init manager that reads systemd-like files but doesn't do
18 > anything else (hostnamectl, logging, udev, etc.), I guess we'll have to
19 > make one.
20 >
21 > Alec
24 Notably Gentoo has never used entire SysV, only the init part, not the
25 /etc.d/rc.d part
26 So this POSIX sh script's are coming from dedicated *Gentoo* project,
27 which is sys-apps/openrc
28
29 Just clarifying