From: "Schleimer
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:37:18
1 Hummm,,
2 I just read the docs for shred and it doesn't
3 garanttee that the data will be erased on a
4 journalling filesystem.
5 http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?shred+1
6
7 Nevermind,
8 Ben
9
10 --- "Schleimer, Ben" <bensch128@×××××.com> wrote:
11
12 > I understand that writing zeros over the file should
13 > permenately delete the data but couldn't the data be
14 > cached elsewhere on the drive, especially with
15 > journalling filesystems??
16 >
17 > Cheers,
18 > Ben
19 >
20 > "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in
21 > the first place.
22 > Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
23 > possible, you are,
24 > by definition, not smart enough to debug it." -
25 > Brian W. Kernighan
29 > ----- Original Message ----
30 > From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
31 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
32 > Sent: Tue 31 Jan 2006 02:56:25 PM IST
33 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from
34 > a formatted hard disk
35 >
36 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
40 > >I've heard of government departments filing down
41 > the old HD's into
42 > >little pieces, then mixing them in cement for the
43 > next building project.
44 > >Could be an urban legend though.
45 > >
46 > >All of the above is subject to my own bad memory :)
50 > I have heard the same thing. I have watched some of
51 > them on TV get data
52 > off some unbelievable drives. Some had bent
53 > platters, serious
54 > scratches, been formatted a few times etc etc etc,
55 > After all that,
56 > they still got enough of what they wanted. They put
57 > a chemical on one
58 > and you could see the data with your eyes. It
59 > looked like a round bar
60 > code sort of.
61 >
62 > Whatever you use, if it does it quickly, it ain't
63 > worth the time.
64 > Really erasing something and rewriting data over it
65 > takes a bit of
66 > time. That little light should be on a while. I
67 > still wouldn't count
68 > on it. Shreading it and putting it in concrete may
69 > be a good idea.
70 > Maybe putting it in a MRI machine would help too. I
71 > would leave the
72 > room though. O_O
73 >
74 > Dale
75 > :-)
76 >
77 > --
78 > To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
79 >
80 > I have four rigs:
81 >
82 > 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU,
83 > 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
84 > Named Smoker
85 > 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU,
86 > 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
87 > 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU,
88 > 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
89 > 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs,
90 > 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
91 >
92 > All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my
93 > desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
94 >
95 > --
96 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
103 > --
104 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
109 "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
110 Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
111 by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
117 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list