From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] drivers for INTEL integrated GPU?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:40:01
1 On March 28, 2017 11:19:00 AM GMT+02:00, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
3 >wrote:
4 >> On March 28, 2017 10:39:22 AM GMT+02:00, Jorge Almeida
5 ><jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >>>>
10 >> My laptop uses the integrated GPU 95÷ of the time. For the occasional
11 >game I want to play, I can enable the NVidia chip.
12 >>
13 >> Support for Intel graphics is in the vanilla kernel, courtesy of
14 >Intel developers. With 6th generation i7, I can do most things. Only
15 >need the Nvidia chip for 3D games that need the higher performance.
16 >>
17 >> With just the Intel GPU, I can enable all the eye-candy that KDE has
18 >to offer and still have a responsive desktop. I don't use it all as it
19 >can make the interface unusable due to the actual effects.
20 >>
21 >OK, I need no 3D, and I don't game (not even occasionally :)) And I'm
22 >just an openbox user!
23 >
24 >Maybe someone with a 7th generation can share experience?
25 >
26 >The gentoo WiKI has a page about this stuff. Reading now...
29 >Thanks
30 >
31 >Jorge
32
33 If you just want 2D, then any GPU should work. Intel has very good support on Linux.
34
35 For desktop effect, the '3D' capabilities of the GPU are being used. Intel GPUs can handle those without issues. Unless the gen7 version isn't in the kernel yet, expect to have to wait. But I wouldn't expect to have to wait very long. But I wouldn't go for a newer gen7 CPU just for the GPU if not interested in 3D games.
38 Joost
39 --
40 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.