From: Yoav Luft <yoav.luft@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a gentoo workstation to Active Directory network
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:52:49
2 > In an ideal world users should use their domain username & password to log
3 > on when they sit down at the Linux box. And they should be mounting the
4 > directories they need off the file server by (double-clicking on a drive
5 > icon on their KDE desktop if necessary and) using their same unique
6 > credentials (*not yours!*). If you want to fully implement this then it's
7 > not a two minute job; you shouldn't need much from the Windows IT admins
8 > except the name of the domain and perhaps the resolvable name of the domain
9 > master server - you should be able to test using your own domain\user:pass
12 That is, actually, what I'm trying to achieve, but what is crucial to the
13 usability of the linux box is that each user (a would be developer) would
14 have access to his own files and the departments files on the server without
15 any knowledge of the working of Linux, Samba, or others. It would be
16 especially nice if logon names would be taken from the server, and those
17 relief users to manually add and configure more users.
18 I can think on an awkward solution, making a script that sets up a new user
19 and assumes the user name is the same as the one in the domain. But I am
20 sure there is a cleaner, better solution, only that I haven't found it yet.
21 So, I will sum up shortly what I want, starting from most important:
22 1. Users will have access to the departments files without root access with
23 their own privileges rather then mine (achieved through given sudo to mount,
24 and putting it all in a script).
25 2. Users will have access to their own personal files (achieved through the
26 same script. Not sure if it is run automatically when a user logs on)
27 3. Any user on the domain will be able to log on to the machine, and have
28 access to his files, will automatically authenticate himself to network
29 services, etc.
30