From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a gentoo workstation to Active Directory network
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:15:16
1 On 9 Aug 2008, at 01:05, Yoav Luft wrote:
2 > ...
3 > that was actually interesting, but it didn't help me much... I do
4 > not manage the network, neither do I have any knowledge of it's
5 > working. I asked the help desk guys to help out, but all they
6 > managed is to get me someone that knew, after a 2 hours work, to
7 > mount the directories I needed manually.
8
9 Hi there,
10
11 If I'm understanding correctly that all you want to do is mount the
12 directories you need automagically then is put the details in /etc/
13 fstab.
14 http://preview.tinyurl.com/5vywbm explains how to keep credentials in
15 a separate file.
16
17 Aside from this, I'm afraid I'm not fully grokking what your
18 intentions are. Merely mounting a couple of Windows file-shares on a
19 Linux box isn't really integrating it into the AD domain. I have to
20 admit that in my eagerness to sound knowledgeable I probably wasn't
21 paying full attention when I read your message prior to replying
22 yesterday.
23
24 In an ideal world users should use their domain username & password
25 to log on when they sit down at the Linux box. And they should be
26 mounting the directories they need off the file server by (double-
27 clicking on a drive icon on their KDE desktop if necessary and) using
28 their same unique credentials (*not yours!*). If you want to fully
29 implement this then it's not a two minute job; you shouldn't need
30 much from the Windows IT admins except the name of the domain and
31 perhaps the resolvable name of the domain master server - you should
32 be able to test using your own domain\user:pass
33
34 Google is muchly the enemy of your enemy. For your punctuation
35 question I hope you find this a good starting point:
36 http://www.google.com/search?q=samba+codepage
37
38 Stroller