From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd-224 Look out for new networking behavior
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 07:08:27
1 Am Tue, 4 Aug 2015 00:37:54 +0100
2 schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 08:50:24 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Is this server-related? I have only simple workstations/laptops and I
7 > > > don't enable systemd-networkd at all. It seems that NetworkManager
8 > > > takes care of both wired and wireless without assistance (including
9 > > > dhcp).
10 > >
11 > > In latptops/workstations NetworkManager takes care of everything.
12 > > However, I still enable systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved in my
13 > > laptop and workstations. If enabled without any configuration, it just
14 > > monitors the network interfaces and keeps them "in the loop" for the
15 > > rest of the system to know about them from a central registry. It
16 > > doesn't interfere with NetworkManager (or any other network management
17 > > program for that matter).
18 >
19 > Alternatively, you can use systemd-networkd and do without
20 > NetworkManager altogether, avoiding a load of dependencies if you don't
21 > use GNOME.
22 >
23 > For typical wireless networks, wpa_gui is more than adequate for
24 > configuration.
25
26 I concur, I switched to systemd-netword over two months ago. This replaced
27 netctl on my desktop, and both netctl and NetworkManager on my laptop. My
28 experience with it so far has been just as good as with netifrc and netctl.
29 The only potential downside is that (at least AFAICT) there is no way to restart
30 an individual network.
31
32 HTH
33 --
34 Marc Joliet
35 --
36 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
37 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup