From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: homemade nas setup
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:24:47
1 Norman Rieß <norman@×××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 >> Is it connected into 10/100 or 1000 (gigabit) setup?
6 > It is a gigabit setup. NFS read is about 30-34MB/s, writing is
7 > considerably slower with 15MB/s. So writing is a bit slow. But as i do
8 > not need fast storage i did not investigate. And it must be mentioned,
9 > that the whole data is in AES.
10
11 Being AES should have a pretty dramatic impact right? or is it not
12 decrypted and just bounced from one place to another?
13
14 > I use this share like a local harddisk. There is nothing like "Oh, this
15 > is on remote storage, i will do <random thing> differently." I do
16 > everything i do on a local disk, and i did not find anything that would
17 > not work due to lack of performance. Admitted i do not do much
18 > performancecritical stuff.
19
20 Thanks for very good input. What you report beats the snot out of the
21 WD `My Book World Edition' I'm testing out. I only tried a few tests
22 and they weren't done rigorously like someone benchmarking would have
23 to do. I made no attempt to control what else might be running, other
24 than not purposely starting anything.
25
26 I tried copying 950MB of graphic files across gigabit lan (winXP to
27 the Book) ... it took 3 min 40 seconds. (about 4mb sec)
28
29 Whereas copying the same data from one machine to another (windowsXP)
30 took 40 seconds.
31 (Incidently.. that appears to be a bit faster than what you report at
32 23mb sec) Might have something to do with the fact that it is
33 identical filesystem to identical filesystem (ntfs)
34
35 Copying the same data from a winXP to my gentoo box across 10/100 lan
36 took 1 min 10 seconds. (A little less than what you see at 13mb sec)
37
38 So even in a case where the measurement should have been skewed in
39 favor of the Book, it was over 300% slower.
40
41 And in the case that should have been comparable it was over 500%
42 slower.
43
44 Unless I've made some horrible error in the math, which is not
45 unlikely, I think my test shows 4mb per second. (I just divided the
46 MB by the seconds), that is so far under what you see, that alone
47 tells me to return this dog and spend the money ($229) building up my
48 own.