From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: homemade nas setup
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:48:59
1 Harry Putnam schrieb:
2 > Norman Rieß <norman@×××××××××.org> writes:
5 >> The system only runs nfs, samba and a cups server. I do not use some
6 >> fancy guis or anything like that. So settings have to be made in the
7 >> config files manualy, except the cupsd which brings a web gui. Maybe
8 >> that is something some people would miss. But i do not think a gentoo
9 >> user would care.
12 > Have you timed any thing like write speeds across the network to this
13 > box?
14 >
15 > Is it connected into 10/100 or 1000 (gigabit) setup?
19 It is a gigabit setup. NFS read is about 30-34MB/s, writing is
20 considerably slower with 15MB/s. So writing is a bit slow. But as i do
21 not need fast storage i did not investigate. And it must be mentioned,
22 that the whole data is in AES.
23
24 I use this share like a local harddisk. There is nothing like "Oh, this
25 is on remote storage, i will do <random thing> differently." I do
26 everything i do on a local disk, and i did not find anything that would
27 not work due to lack of performance. Admitted i do not do much
28 performancecritical stuff.