From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default settings in /etc/rc.conf
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:43:04
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Can someone please confirm that the commented settings in /etc/rc.conf
3 > are the defaults?
4 >
5 > Ie, when running etc-update after updating openrc, I had specifically
6 > the entry:
7 >
8 > rc_parallel="NO"
9 >
10 > Now, when updating from 0.9.4 to 0.9.8.4, it wants to completely remove
11 > this setting and all related comments to it.
12 >
13 > I always hate it when the header comments for config files -
14 > *especially* important ones like rc.conf - do not *explicitly* state
15 > what the *defaults*are, and/or that the *commented* settings *are* the
16 > defaults.
17 >
18 > So, is
19 >
20 > rc_parallel="NO"
21 >
22 > the default or not?
23 >
24 > What about
25 >
26 > #rc_interactive="YES"
27 >
28 > Ie, if I leave it commented like that, is it set to YES or NO?
29 >
30 > Thanks,
31 >
32 > Charles
37 They removed the setting because it broke a good bit of systems. No one
38 wanted to fix it, so they got rid of it. From my understanding, if you
39 still want the setting, you can leave it there. If it makes your system
40 break tho, you get to keep all the pieces and complain to the mirror. ;-)
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
48 how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"