From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:24:09
1 On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:08:26 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > An answer from a different Walter <G>...
5 >
6 > > I also don't use pulse - plain ALSA is good enough for me - but
7 > > looking over the design goals for pulseaudio I see a decent attempt
8 > > to deal with audio properly for the future. These days we have
9 > > computers and devices that can interact with many other things in
10 > > weird and wonderful ways and software needs to deal with that.
11 >
12 > [...deletia...]
13 >
14 > > I just curious why you think that it's not useful to the ordinary
15 > > user in a generic wide way.
16 >
17 > I'll throw the question back to you.
18
19 How about you go first?
20
21 I'm not opening up a debate and preparing an argument, I really want to
22 know what you think about this matter.
23
24 Yeah, I know, this is a highly unusual thing for Alan to put out there
25 and I've never done it this way before :-)
26
27 But it's legit, I don't have a dog in this fight and would really like
28 to know what you think
33 > What specific benefits do you
34 > see? Not just generalities, but real life benfits, please. Sound
35 > daemons in general seem to be solutions in search of a problem. And
36 > if they couldn't find any problems to solve, they'd make up some new
37 > ones of their own. I remember the first I heard of pulseaudio was
38 > all the weeping and moaning of people on this forum and the GTALUG
39 > (Toronto area linux mailing list) trying to get sound working again
40 > after installing pulseaudio.
41 >
42 > Remember arts and esd? They went the way of HAL. Nuff said. The
43 > thing to remember is that humans cannot multitask audio very well.
44 > Try listening to 2 radio stations at once, and see what I mean.
50 Alan McKinnnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com