From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about the vga clause on kernel line of grub.conf
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:10:21
1 On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > For quite a long time I've been using things like:
3 > vga=0x31A
4 >
5 > On the kernel line in grub.conf
6 >
7 > Its a hexidecimal system drawn info in this (partial) chart I found
8 > somewhere in the kernel documentation long ago.
9 >
10 > ## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
11 > ## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
12 > ## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
13 > ## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
14 > ## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B
15 >
16 > I've used kernel lines like below in grub.conf:
17 > (asterisks added)
18 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ** vga=0x31b ** video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
19 >
20 > For a very long time. (On occasion I've needed a smaller resolution
21 > and used 0x317)
22 >
23 > But on two recent installs of gentoo as vmware guests, that kind of
24 > entry isn't doing any good and I'm still being prompted to make a
25 > choice.
26 >
27 > When I hit <enter> as directed a largish chart of what look to be
28 > octal based settings, flashes by and only the last portion of it
29 > remains visible.
30 >
31 > It has choices like 340, 341 and many other three digit offerings from
32 > a large chart that shows the resolutions you get with the 3 digit
33 > choices.
34 >
35 > I was unable to find this chart by grepping in the kerne//Documentation
36 > directory.
37 >
38 > Where does the boot process access that chart?
39 >
40 > And why is it that the hex system is ignored and this other system
41 > offered at boot?
42 >
43 > I'm successfully using the hex system on my main gentoo machine... but on
44 > the two recently installed gentoo vmware guests it doesn't work.
45 >
46 > It may be relevant that these installs are console only... no X.
47
48 From linux/Documentation/svga.txt:
49
50 ** Short intro for the impatient: Just use vga=ask for the first time,
51 ** enter `scan' on the video mode prompt, pick the mode you want to use,
52 ** remember its mode ID (the four-digit hexadecimal number) and then
53 ** set the vga parameter to this number (converted to decimal first).
54
55 HTH :)