From: Johannes Frandsen <jsf@××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo as a production server - insecure?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:48:09
1 I got in to a discussion about which server to recommend for running
2 the php5 symfony framework, and I recommended Gentoo as I had been
3 using it my self for a couple of years and have been very satisfied
4 with it.
5 Somebody pointed out that having a productions server with a gcc
6 installed was a big no no security wise, so I did a bit of goggling on
7 that topic and found a couple of articles supporting that view.
8
9 Maybe I'm just ill informed, but I can't really see the big problem
10 here. Sure if there is a gcc compiler installed you can recompile
11 everything to your hearts content, but you still need to get access to
12 the server first. And if you have server access you can install gcc on
13 any distribution. Even openbsd (to my knowledge) comes with gcc
14 bundled and they claim to be the most secure *nix available.
15
16 Im using the gentoo hardened profile for my production servers with a
17 lamp stack and have considered them reasonably secure, but am I wrong
18 in assuming this?
19
20 Joe