From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo as a production server - insecure?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:53:33
1 On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:48:04 +0100
2 Johannes Frandsen <jsf@××××××.dk> wrote:
3
4 > I got in to a discussion about which server to recommend for running
5 > the php5 symfony framework, and I recommended Gentoo as I had been
6 > using it my self for a couple of years and have been very satisfied
7 > with it.
8 > Somebody pointed out that having a productions server with a gcc
9 > installed was a big no no security wise, so I did a bit of goggling on
10 > that topic and found a couple of articles supporting that view.
11
12 I suppose it makes sense only in much broader context: "remove
13 everything that isn't necessary, even gcc".
14
15 It might certainly give attacker a harder time, but if it's x86/64 linux
16 machine, I think that hardly matters - static binaries won't be a
17 problem, so, if you're seriously considering that step to be necessary
18 - get rid of coreutils (especially that 'rm' utility) and all the
19 interpreters (even awk!) first.
22 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net