From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble w/ CD(s) during new gentoo install
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 07:02:16
1 On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:17:09 +0200, Liebich, Wolfgang wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I'm installing a new computer w/ gentoo (had Windows 2003 Server on it before). I'm installing from the minimal installation CD (tried w/ knoppix before). BUT today I OFTEN get IDE READ errors and afterwards - no command works. No shutdown, no halt, nothing. Pressing the Power button don't do anything either (oh GREAT) - I have to pull the cable (!). It seems it gets worse. The same happened w/ the knoppix CD i tried to use for booting yesterday - at first OK, then read errors, getting worse --- what gives??
5 > Has anyone tips how to handle this (no, getting a new CDROM drive is not a FAST option :-()
6 > ciao,
7 > Wolfgang
8
9 I suggest, if possible, not using the CDROM drive, if possible. Can you
10 install from a USB stick? Or, do you have, or can you get, an external
11 device to use for the purpose of installing the OS?
14 -Thufir
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list